Saturday, September 6

Utah!

Man I have been a blacker (blogging/slacker-I just made that up. Boy am I tired). I was in Utah almost a month ago and am just now writing about it. Anyway, the flight there was...let's just say I have blocked it from my memory. Now you really want to know what happened, don't you? Here goes. My friend dropped me off at the airport and she has a baby so I didn't want her to have to park and walk me to the ticket counter so I just had her drop me outside. I figured I would get a cart or something for my luggage and I didn't want to bring the car seat or stroller because I thought it would be a hassle. But I had no idea the carts cost $3.00! That seemed scandalous at the time and I decided I could make it the few feet that I had to go to get to the counter. So here I am with Kate on one hip and trying to roll two suitcases with one hand. It doesn't work that way. But how many people watched me struggling and were thinking to themselves "That poor lady, someone should help her?". No one did! Oh well. I somehow got to the ticket counter and got through security. I went to the gate to find out the plane had been delayed due to rain. So we sat and waited, We didn't have to wait too long and the seat next to me was empty so I thought my luck was changing. But Kate was so hard! She is at the age when they don't want to sit still and she was constantly up or down or throwing things or grabbing the hair of the woman in front of me. One minute I was ready to break down in tears and the next minute I felt okay. I wasn't on a direct flight; I had a stop over in Denver and by some miracle got to Denver. But because of the plane delay in Houston, I missed my connecting flight! I went to the customer service desk and the line was so long. Kate hadn't had a nap and all I had packed for her was grapes and crackers. Luckily I was able to get on a flight to SLC only about an hour and a half later than my original plan. I had just taken Kate to change her diaper and saw that she had had diarrhea and it had leaked out onto my white shirt. By that point I didn't even care anymore. She slept on the short flight to Utah so that flight wasn't bad. But poor Kate! The next day her diaper was full of undigested grapes!
Anyway, the awful flight was worth it to get to see my family, especially my brother Paul who has been in Afghanistan and I haven't seen since Thanksgiving. I also got to see some of my awesome high school buddies and meet their adorable kids. My sister Alicia and my dad and I took Kate to the zoo. I figured she was probably too young to really enjoy it, but she did seem to have fun. My sisters and I also took her to the fountains at Gateway one day but she did NOT enjoy that! It was a great trip and so refreshing to be out of the humidity for awhile. And don't worry, the plane ride home was not nearly as traumatic as the ride there!

7 comments:

jennie said...

I am so sad I missed you when you were here! Or there, I should say. My kids and I got so sick and Ben was out of town and school was starting, etc.... I so hope I get to see you next time! Whenever that is.

Alisa Frei said...

Ahhh, Nicole, I've shed a many tear on planes, or traveling with my kids in general. Thank goodness there's a destination! I'm SO glad you had the opportunity to spend time with the fam, especially Paul. I loved the pictures! Kate is SO DARLING!!!

Stephers said...

I love seeing your family. I seriously still think of them as kids. It is great to see how well they are all doing. I loved seeing you, I just wished we had been able to get together more while you were here. Can't wait until Christmas! I think that was the next time you said you would be here, we hope to see you again super soon. Thanks for taking time to hang with the high school gang, glad we can all be so close still even though we may live far away :) Kate is just so cute, I want to set her and Drew up when they are old enough.. he he he.

Kasey said...

Oh Nicole, I have been there! So glad the return trip was better. And that you had fun in Utah! Love the pictures of you all together.

Angela said...

So glad you survived! I'm sorry it was such a difficult trip. On long plane rides I just keep reminding myself, I will never see these people again... it helps!

Becca said...

Oh, that plane ride sounds like it was tough! Hopefully the trip back was much better! We should get together next time you're in town, I'd love to see you!

Jessicajw said...

I have had a few flights like that. I know always pack an extra change of clothes for myself just in case I get thrown up on again and an extra change for the kids. I just got back from a trip Maryland and I can't complain about the flight because it was so long. But, I did have a run in with an older lady that was trying to butt in line in front of me. Southwest you have to fight for your seat. And Claire was annoying and kicking a guys seat on our flight home that she wouldn't go to sleep. People just need to calm down and realize they are sharing the space with alot of people and they might be disturbed for a little bit.

I am glad you had fun. I wish I was there to see you also. I will be there at Christmas so we'll have to plan a party!