Thursday, November 5

San Diego






Jason had to go to San Diego to a conference for work and his firm pays for the spouses to go (thanks Jason's firm!) so we just had to buy Kate a ticket. The conference was at a really nice resort in Carlsbad and I honestly think it was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in! Kate is old enough to need her own seat on the plane now which is good and bad. Bad because we have to pay more to fly but good because I don't have to fight to keep her on my lap. Jason spent most of his days in meetings so Kate and I got to have lots of alone time. I really enjoyed just being able to hang out with her and not have to worry about running errands or cleaning the house. Our first day we went to the San Diego zoo. It's a huge zoo and we probably only saw about half of it. I think my favorite part was seeing the dingo puppies. They were so cute! Most of the animals were very active because it was close to feeding time. That night we ate at a restaurant right on the beach. I had lobster which was pretty good but reaffirmed to me that I just don't really like lobster that much, even covered in butter and truffle oil!
The next day Jason only had a half day of meetings so we had thought about going to Disneyland. Unfortunately, Jason woke up around 4 AM puking his guts out so that nixed that plan. Instead I took Kate to Legoland where I spent a small fortune just to get through the gate. I still feel bad for the poor guy at the ticket window. It's not his fault the prices are ridiculous! Anyway, we did have fun there. Kate was just tall enough to be able to ride most of the rides. And it was so cool to see all the things made out of legos!
On Saturday (Halloween) Kate and I went to Sea World. I decided to not get her a costume since we weren't home and I don't think she cares too much about dressing up yet. We went on more rides in the Sesame Street section where Kate proceeded to throw a fit every time we had to get off a ride and get back in line. Do the terrible twos really last a whole year? Then we saw the manatees and the sharks and a really cute pet show. The last thing we did there was see Shamu. I figured I couldn't go all that way and not see that, right? Kate played with some bubbles I bought the whole time but it was an awesome (if somewhat cheesy) show. We flew home the next day. It was a really fun trip and even though we didn't get to hang out with Jason that much, I am so glad we tagged along.

7 comments:

Stephers said...

I am just sitting here remembering our fun times at Sea World... glad you were able to get out on your own with Kate and make some fun memories. Kate is so darling and I cannot believe she is already (2). I must say that I was looking forward to Drew being 3 because I thought the terrible two's were crazy. Let's just say... 3 isn't much better! But there are enough good times to forget about the bad right??? Love reading the update, thanks for sharing your fun last couple of months :)

Addy said...

Looks like a great trip. It is freezing outside today I can't help think I wish I were in San Diego instead. Kate is getting so big. I loved the birthday pictures, too.

Alyson said...

Happy Birthday to little Kate! Your trip looks like so much fun. I went to get my eyes checked by your dad a couple of weeks ago. It was so great to see him:) When are you coming to Utah next?

Alisa Frei said...

YEA! Finally a post!!! I loved seeing the recent pictures of Kate and some recent events! I can't believe she is already 2!

Bev and Roger said...

I loved your trip post. I think I heard someone say it's now the 'terrible three's'...sorry. Kate is so cute. I laughed when you said on the phone that Kate had to spend some 'timeout' time in the bedroom with Jason during her birthday party...poor Kate, it's hard learning to share toys and space. Love you Kate!

John-David and Kathryn said...

THat is so fun that you got to go to San Diego and even better that it was mostly paid for. I can't believe how big Kate has gotten. She looks really tall too.

ลักขณา บุญณรงค์ said...

Your daughter is so cute.You're good luck to have a nice family like this. Thanks for sharing your interesting story.
Pao, Thailand